We’re excited to partner with Gorgeously Green’s Sophie Uliano for some mouthwatering Meatless Monday Ideas! Here are her Top 5 Meatless Monday tips, but make sure to check back for more of her recipes featuring gardein!
Even if you and your family like to eat meat, it makes sense to dedicate one night a week to go meatless. Since I have gone completely meat-free, I feel healthier, have more energy, and am loving the fact that I am filling my body full of plants that contain cancer-fighting compounds. Most people who give up meat also see a significant decrease in the bad cholesterol levels, and a few clients I’ve recently worked with have even been able to get off one (if not all), of their medications.
In eschewing meat, I’ve also noticed that my workouts have become easier – go figure!
But, WHAT does the average in-a-crazy-rush person do when they have to feed a large meat-loving family? Here are some ideas;
- Pasta: You cannot go wrong with a hearty pasta. You can easily find some great gluten-free pastas at most grocery stores now, and I recommend tossing in a bunch of roasted veggies, and a generous dollop of pesto – no one’s going to argue with that!
- Gardein Products: Gardein supplies some of the most prestigious vegan restaurants across the country. They have got the taste and texture DOWN, and their products (ranging from Pork-less bites to Crab-less cakes), are insanely delicious. The thing that I like about Gardein in particular is that the protein they use (soy protein isolate) is GMO-free – this is something that you have to be mindful of when eating this particular ingredient. For those of us who are in a bind time-wise, or for those who need a “training wheel” vegan product, Gardein is as good as it gets. Do check out my You Tube channel because I’ve just shot some fun cooking videos featuring some of their products, including a delicious green chick’n curry and a quick, tasty sweet and sour “pork” stir-fry!
- Portobello Mushrooms: Whenever I think of cooking a meat-less meal for people who love meat, I almost always reach for a Portobello mushroom because the texture is hearty, and the taste (when marinated with Tamari, garlic, olive oil, and herbs) is off-the-charts.
- Mexican food is a great idea and often my go-to for my daughter and her teenage friends. They all love beans, they love avocado, and it’s easy to pile up the plate with rice, salsa, herbs and cheese (even vegan cheese), without anyone noticing a lack of meat.
- Pizza: I’ll often do a pizza for my family, and load it up with veggies. I also love to add strips of tempeh bacon, fresh organic tomatoes and fresh basil. YUM!
Mouths watering enough yet? You can check out more of Sophie’s meatless recipes featuring gardein on Facebook!