chef tal’s sage & pumpkin seed encrusted gardein
- 5 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot
- 4 sprigsthyme
- 1/4 cupdried cranberries
- 1 cupcabernet
- 1 cupfaux chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsparrowroot
- 2 Tbspwater
- 3 Tbsp'earth balance' butter
- to tastesalt
- to tastepepper
- 3 pkgsgardein chick'n scallipini or chick'n fillets
- 1 Tbspminced fresh sage
- 1 cuptoasted pumpkin seeds (without shells)
- 1 tsppaprika
- 1 cuppanko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbspnutritional yeast flakes
- 1 cupunbleached white flower
- 2 cupsunsweetened soy milk
Begin by making a cranberry cabernet sauce:
Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a sauté pan. Add the shallots and sauté for 3 minutes. Add thyme and cranberries and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the cabernet and scrape the bottom of the pan, then reduce the liquid by half.
Add the stock, then reduce by half.
Mix the arrowroot with the water and add to the pan. Stir well and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat off and whisk in the vegan butter 1 Tbsp at a time.
Remove thyme stems.
For the sage and pumpkin seed encrusted gardein:
In a food processor, process the sage, seeds, paprika, bread crumbs, yeast, salt, and pepper until well incorporated.
Dredged thawed out frozen scallopini or chick’n fillets into flour, then dip into the soy milk and place into the panco bread crumbs.
Saute on each side until browned and crisp.