pan-fried chipotle chick’n with arugula
starting the dish
- 4 pieces gardein chick'n scallopini
- 1/2 cup lemon shallot vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup horseradish béchamel
- 2 cups arugula
- 3 small vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced in wedges
- 1/4 cupred onions, julienne-thin
- 2ears of sweet corn, grilled and removed from cob
pan-fried chipotle chick’n
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp tabasco
- 1 to 2 tsp chipotle purée
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tspsea salt
- 1/3 cupcoconut milk (or unsweetened soy milk)
- 4 piecesgardein chick'n scallopini
preparing the fried chick’n
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- oil for pan frying
lemon shallot vinaigrette
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp shallots
- 1/4 cup honey or other sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (also could substitute lime juice)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cupred wine vinegar
- 1/2 tspsea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tspfreshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cupolive oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for a few hours to soften, drained
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp onion granules
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbspagave
- 3 tbspprepared horseradish
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tspsea salt
- pinch of white pepper
LEMON SHALLOT DRESSING
Peel garlic and shallots and roughly chop, then add to food processor and pulse until finely minced. Add honey, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Purée for a minute or two, then add the oil and purée again. Taste the dressing to see if there is enough seasoning and sweetness for your liking. This dressing can be stored in an airtight container for at least a week in the refrigerator.
In a high-speed blender add all ingredients and combine until smooth.
PAN-FRIED CHIPOTLE CHICK’N
Whisk marinade ingredients (garlic, tabasco, chipotle puree, salt, coconut milk) in a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly. Lay the gardein scallopini in the marinade, making sure the chick’n is fully covered. Marinate for 10 minutes.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat up the oil in a fry pan for shallow frying. Remove the chick’n from the marinade, shake out gently and place in flour mixture, coating it well.
*Note: For extra crispiness, bread the chick’n a second time. To do this, after the first breading, place the coated Chick’n back into the marinade and then re-coat with flour.
Shallow fry, turning once so that both sides of the chick’n are a golden color. Remove from pan and place on paper towels or a rack to drain.
In a mixing bowl gently toss the arugula, corn, tomatoes and red onions.
Drizzle the Lemon Shallot Dressing on the salad and season to taste.
Drizzle the plate with some of the horseradish bechamel and then place a piece of chick’n on top.
Top chick’n with a small handful of the salad and garnish the plate with a few tomato wedges and some of the corn.